Keeping Your Mississippi-Grown
Christmas Tree Safe
Real trees, when kept in water, are more fire-resistant than artificial trees.
However, these tips will help keep your home safe…
- Don’t place your tree in direct sunlight or around any heat source, such as TVs, heat vents, or fireplaces.
- Check decorative lights for frayed wires before they go on the tree, and make sure electrical outlets are not overloaded.
- At night, or when you leave the house for extended periods of time, make sure to unplug the lights.
- Remove the tree from your home before it dries out so it does not pose a fire risk.
- Do not burn Christmas trees in your fireplace because the flammable buildup released from the tree can start a fire in your chimney.
Source: Dr. John Kushla, Extension/Research Professor, North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, Mississippi State University.