Keeping Your Mississippi-Grown

Christmas Tree Safe

Real trees, when kept in water, are more fire-resistant than artificial trees.

However, these tips will help keep your home safe…

  • Don’t place your tree in direct sunlight or around any heat source, such as TVs, heat vents, or fireplaces.
  • Check decorative lights for frayed wires before they go on the tree, and make sure electrical outlets are not overloaded.
  • At night, or when you leave the house for extended periods of time, make sure to unplug the lights.
  • Remove the tree from your home before it dries out so it does not pose a fire risk.
  • Do not burn Christmas trees in your fireplace because the flammable buildup released from the tree can start a fire in your chimney.

Source: Dr. John Kushla, Extension/Research Professor, North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, Mississippi State University.